Re: [dnsext] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsext-aliasing-requirements-00.txt

Dan Schlitt <schlitt@world.std.com> Mon, 28 February 2011 17:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:40:55 -0500
From: Dan Schlitt <schlitt@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsext-aliasing-requirements-00.txt

Back when this discussion started a long time ago I thinkit was perhaps
the first message that listed a number of possible approaches. One of
them was a presentation layer in the DNS. The statement with this was
that it had been rejected earlier and so need not be considered.

As this long discussion has gone on with more problems than solutions I
have often thought "now wouldn't that problem be better avoided with a
presentation layer."

Isn't the problem what domain name the user asks for and getting the
right behaviour from the DNS. Isn't this a presentation problem and not
a problem of the basic DNS?

Weren't we told that we weren't dealing with "words" even though some
things might look like words. This means that we don't have to deal with
things like the difference between american english and british english.

If this is actually an application layer problem isn't it reasonable to
look for a way to fix it generally instead of expecting each application
to do it for itself. This suggests placing something between the
application and the DNS.

Is there some way that the WG can get out of this pattern of going round
and round over the same old territory?

/dan

--

Dan Schlitt