Re: [DNSOP] Adoption and Working Group Last Call for draft-appelbaum-dnsop-onion-tld

Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org> Tue, 09 June 2015 10:41 UTC

From: Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org>
To: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 10:41:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.47.234]
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Adoption and Working Group Last Call for draft-appelbaum-dnsop-onion-tld

On 6/5/15, 21:16, "Warren Kumari" <warren@kumari.net> wrote:

>I think that such a list / resource would be a fine idea, but I think
>that:
>A: it would be good to avoid calling it a "registry" (that term has
>specific meaning within the DNS world), and

Not just in the DNS world.

To research this response, I looked up the definition or registry (place
that keeps a register) and register.  There are other meanings - including
a vocal register - but the central theme is a public record or an official
list, etc.  In many uses it is the official/public relationship of what
I've mentioned before.

>B: it would also be good if someone (or someones) other than the IETF
>ran them.

If for no other reason that the IETF isn't prone to operating services.

>This could be a person, like John for exmaple[0], or just
>something like a wikipedia page.... Some of my reason for writing the
>.alt draft was because I get more than enough ICANN politics at ICANN
>meetings -- I *so* don't want special use names to become an
>attractive niusence and have legal / trademark fights when someone
>launches an alternate name resolution system for finding drugs and
>calls it 'coke.alt'.

Sounds like you are trying to solve legal issues with engineering.

>Having a place where I could go figure out what piece of software I
>need to install to resolve http://0xdeadbeef.kitten.alt would be
>really useful (even if the resource said that this could be any of 3
>different alternate resolution methods - if it looks like a bunch of
>hex is is probably KittenNet (install KittenRes0.23.tgz), if the
>string is mainly badly spelt "words" it's likely LoLCat, try install
>ICanHazNames from http://example.net :-)).

The fact that the current Special-Use Domain Names doesn't do this
specifically is what makes me wonder what the benefit that registry offers.

>Yah. If I'm launching a new namespace that resolves based upon
><something>, I have an incentive to choose a string that isn't already
>being used by some other large, well known project, in the same way
>that it would be silly for me to write a new UNIX program that does
>something like cowsay (but with kittens) and call it 'cat'.

After reading this I'm less sure I understand what the solvable problem
is.  Collisions in identifiers have existed before the Internet and
continue external to the Internet.  Prevention of external events is
impossible, you can only hope to deal with them.

In a side conversation about "preventing" badness it was suggested to turn
the conversation towards "accommodating correct behavior."  What would it
take for someone to pick an identifier space and get it acknowledged?
Answering that may be more beneficial than figuring where in the DNS to
stick all these ad hoc naming schemes.  (After all, [in my opinion] the
DNS is not the root of all identifiers.)