[Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-03.txt

Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com> Fri, 28 April 2006 15:28 UTC

From: Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>
To: spencer@mcsr-labs.org
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:27:57 -0700
Cc: sgai@cisco.com, cds@cisco.com, General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, sgai@ip6.com, Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>, dromasca@avaya.com, skode@cisco.com
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-03.txt

Spencer,

> The changes you propose would would for me.
>
> Thanks especially for your proposed change to 5.3. I don't think a lot of
> description is required, just enough to clearly identify what's being
> discussed.

I've done the editing that I believe addresses your points.  Before I
submit the new version, please could you sanity-check these changed
paragraphs:

  1.  Introduction

     This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
     for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
     In particular, it describes managed objects for information related
     to the Fibre Channel network's Routing Table for routing within a
     Fabric.  Managed objects specific to particular routing protocols,
!    such as the Fabric Shortest Path First (FSPF) protocol [FC-SW-4], are
!    not specified in this MIB module.

  3.  Short Overview of Fibre Channel

         ... the best link by which to forward that frame towards its
     destination.

+    The latest standard for an interconnecting Fabric containing multiple
+    Fabric Switch elements is [FC-SW-4] (which replaces the previous
+    revision [FC-SW-3]).  [FC-SW-4] carries forward the existing
+    specification for the operation of a single Fabric in a physical
+    infrastructure, augmenting it with the definition of Virtual Fabrics
+    and with the specification of how multiple Virtual Fabrics can
+    operate within one (or more) physical infrastructures.  The use of
+    Virtual Fabrics provides for each frame to be tagged in its header to
+    indicate which one of several Virtual Fabrics that frame is being
+    transmitted on.  All frames entering a particular "Core Switch"
+    [FC-SW-4] (i.e., a physical switch) on the same Virtual Fabric are
+    processed by the same "Virtual Switch" within that Core switch.

  4.  Relationship to Other MIBs

  5.3.  Fabric Index

-    Whether operating on a physical Fabric (i.e., without Virtual
     Fabrics) or within a Virtual Fabric, the operation of FSPF within a
     Fabric is identical.  Therefore, this MIB defines all Fabric-related
     information in tables which are INDEX-ed by an arbitrary integer,
     named a "Fabric Index", the syntax of which is IMPORTed from the
     T11-TC-MIB.  When a device is connected to a single physical Fabric,
     without use of any virtual Fabrics, the value of this Fabric Index
     will always be 1.  In an environment of multiple virtual and/or
     physical Fabrics, this index provides a means to distinguish one
     Fabric from another.

  5.5.  The t11FcRouteTable's INDEX

        ... in the ipCidrRouteTable [RFC2096], and more recently, the
     inetCidrRouteTable in [RFC2096bis].

!    While this useful feature results in an unusually large number (ten)
!    of objects in the t11FcRouteTable's INDEX clause, all ten are either
!    integers or strings of length 3 (or zero) octets, so the resulting OIDs
!    are not unusually large.  [Specifically, the aggregate number of sub-
!    identifiers to be appended to an OBJECT-TYPE's OID, when naming an
!    instance of an object in the t11FcRouteTable, is at most 22
!    sub-identifiers, i.e., less than the *minimum* number to be appended
!    for the inetCidrRouteTable table.]

Thanks,
Keith.