Re: AW: [Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo -profile-00

"Tim Dunn" <timothydunn01@msn.com> Sat, 16 July 2005 03:40 UTC

From: Tim Dunn <timothydunn01@msn.com>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: AW: [Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo -profile-00
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:40:30 -0600
Cc: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

First let me introduce myself to the list.  My name is Tim Dunn.  I currently operate my own consulting firm, but was a principal product manager for Openwave/Signalsoft during the time the wireless location standards for emergency services were being promulgated and then implemented in the US.  Prior to that, I was a PSAP manager for the City and County of Denver.  I maintain my standing within various NENA technical committees, having participated in those committees for some 7 or more years and have participated in various FCC, ATIS, ETSI and other forums.

I've been watching this thread over the past couple of days and find I have to respond.  As a point of reference, in Denver, we had a building (a movie theatre) which had the lobby in Denver, and the theater itself in a neighboring jurisdiction.  In cases such as these (to include WTC, the Interchurch Building and the like) there are typically agreements which have been set in place which discuss who is the first responder to a particular address, such as this movie theatre.

Neighboring jurisdictions spend a great deal of time determining who is the first responder for whole addresses, corresponding to the city, county and sometimes state boundaries, not who occupies floors 1, 3 and 4 of a building.  If there is some sort of question as to which jurisdiction responds, the PSAP that is responsible for answering that call generally has responsibility for getting that call to a dispatcher who can send the correct unit(s).  This would be local police, fire or EMS or some other response arrangement such as mutual aid or calling the FBI or University Police or whatever arrangement has been agreed upon.

So, I'll suggest from the perspective of routing the call to the PSAP, routing on -z is not critical.  It is much more critical to provide as accurate a -z as possible (be it attached to Geo or Civic message format) to the PSAP calltakers' screens so they can provide it as a more granular location to the responding unit when they arrive.

Tim Dunn
Timothy N. Dunn Consulting
timothydunn01@msn.com<mailto:timothydunn01@msn.com>