RE: AW: [Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-l o -profile-00

"James Winterbottom" <winterb@nortel.com> Fri, 15 July 2005 01:19 UTC

From: James Winterbottom <winterb@nortel.com>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: AW: [Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-l o -profile-00
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:17:20 +1000
Cc: 'GEOPRIV' <geopriv@ietf.org>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

I think that the problem is more complex than this.

The Geo with floor does provide a relatively precise location. Certainly it
can be precise enough to enable routing decisions to be made. Civic, as is
defined in the PIDF-LO document I am afraid does not. All elements are
defined as 0-1 occurrences, which means that an operator can pick and choose
what ever elements they want to include. We need to provide recommendations
on a minimum set of civic elements that are required to be entered I think.

Anyway, given this limitation I am going to propose the following:

1) If you request AT THE SAME TIME, Geo and Civic, and you get both, you:
	a) Create a Single tuple, status, GeoPriv and Location-info element.
      b) You fill in everything you can with the Geo information first, so
Geo will be the first entry in the location-info element. If floor was
provided then you create a civic element and fill in the floor.
      c) You take everything except for floor from the returned civic
information and populate that into the same civic element that was created
to put the floor info into.

RATIONALE:- Civic data returned may not be sufficient to provide routing
information, but may be extremely useful to people that need to look at the
location.

2) If you request different location types at different times then the
locations must be populated into different tuples.