RE: AW:[Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo -profile-0 0

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Sat, 16 July 2005 20:41 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:40:19 -0500
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, 'Tim Dunn' <timothydunn01@msn.com>, 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, 'GEOPRIV' <geopriv@ietf.org>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: AW:[Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo -profile-0 0
Cc: 'Marc Linsner' <mlinsner@cisco.com>
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

At 03:44 PM 7/16/2005 -0400, Brian Rosen wrote:
>The world is changing.

and apparently some things don't change...

sigh

>I think we want response to
>be reasonable without requiring information that cannot reasonably be known
>to the responder

as in the "first responder"?

If so, are you suggesting they (the police man/woman, or fire man/woman)
actually get the raw PIDF-LO feed and are left to their training to figure
it out?

Don't you think this will either be interpretted by someone trained to know
this information, or by some application programmed to interpret this
information?

>, and we have to assume they are not from the same
>organization.

wow, on the one hand we have to assume the emergency call desk contacted is
the same organization (because they both are from the same university or
federal agency), therefore we need this level of precision, yet here you
are saying we have to assume they are from different organizations - and
different organization cannot possibly be expected to know the same
information.

which is it?

A wireless client on the 30th floor of a building in NYC that isn't
controlled by Columbia U. should only allow other Columbia U endpoints
access onto their network.  If that's true, then the routing proxy for that
endpoint when it calls 911 will be a Columbia U Proxy. which MUST only
route the call to what IT chose as the PSAP or internal emergency uri.

If altitude matters in this case, Columbia U is in total control of it from
the endpoint to the routing Proxy.

Where's the problem?

The same WILL BE TRUE for federal agencies sharing an office building with
other organizations.  They will control their endpoints, and their APs, and
their infrastructures and their routing Proxies and THEREFORE who that sos@
message gets mapped to.

where's the problem here?

>Without some kind of mapping to, I guess, strings, it's not
>possible to use RFC3825 Altitude value when AT=2.

the only way anything knows the unit of measurement is have it be told the
unit of measirement.  3825 clearly states there is a unit of measurement
indicating "FLOORS", and provides a means for understanding when a floor is
not a whole numbered floor, but a SUBFLOOR, *and* even a means for
determining WHICH ONE of the subfloors is being reference.

The PSAP operator's station will know how to make this unit of measurement
displayed properly. That will lead the responders to the right floor.

Ok, so, how hard would it be in this rosey future you replied to Tim with
is it unreasonable for existing and future construction permits require the
correct population of some database correlating that in building X, a
PIDF-LO with a geo format, that floor 1.1 = "mezzanine"? How many times
would that information need to be entered? Once? For new construction, this
is done before anyone CAN call 911. For existing buildings, this can be
done over the period of years, based on local policy (read: law/regulation
to update logical floorplans).

>It is possible if you
>just always make altitude meters.

well, then you have to personally know if "0" is for ground, or for mean
lowest low tide, or some other starting point - cuz without that, and I
tell you I'm at 318m above "something" - where am I? I would be below the
ground level by quite a bit if I were in Denver (being the mile high city).

>This is why propagation of the RFC3825 AT=2 option seems, to me, to be a bad
>idea.    On reflection of the needs for routing and responding to multistory
>buildings, where there is no reasonable way to interpret the value of the
>altitude by the contents of the Altitude field when AT=2, without
>information which seems difficult to assume the recipient can get, I
>conclude it was a nice idea that doesn't work; we should not use it, and we
>should not copy it into PIDF-LO.   I see no need to revise RFC3825.

why would we even consider deprecating a useful information element? That's
the only way 3825 could be revised to satisfy what you're talking about -
even if you're not calling for it to occur.

>I just
>don't want to see the mu=floors option in PIDF-LO.

that makes one of us

If you want to go down this path some more, when's the last time you were
in a hotel elevator and pressed the "1" button to get to the ground floor?

Most hotels I stay in, the ground floor is called "L" for "Lobby".

So, does this mean I can say I don't want to see an FLR element in a
PIDF-LO populated with anything other than <FLR>lobby<FLR/>?

I believe you're confusing raw information with how it will be interpretted
by configurable applications and trained personnel.

cheers,
James