Re: AW: [Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-l o -profile-00

Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us> Fri, 15 July 2005 02:38 UTC

From: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Subject: Re: AW: [Geopriv] Quickrandomcommentsondraft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-l o -profile-00
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:38:26 -0400
To: James Winterbottom <winterb@nortel.com>
Cc: 'GEOPRIV' <geopriv@ietf.org>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

This is probably naive, but what the heck...

On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:17 PM, James Winterbottom wrote:

> I think that the problem is more complex than this.
>
> The Geo with floor does provide a relatively precise location.
> Certainly it can be precise enough to enable routing decisions to
> be made. Civic, as is defined in the PIDF-LO document I am afraid
> does not. All elements are defined as 0-1 occurrences, which means
> that an operator can pick and choose what ever elements they want
> to include. We need to provide recommendations on a minimum set of
> civic elements that are required to be entered I think.
>
> Anyway, given this limitation I am going to propose the following:
>
> 1) If you request AT THE SAME TIME, Geo and Civic, and you get
> both, you:
>         a) Create a Single tuple, status, GeoPriv and Location-info
> element.
>       b) You fill in everything you can with the Geo information
> first, so Geo will be the first entry in the location-info element.
> If floor was provided then you create a civic element and fill in
> the floor.
>
>       c) You take everything except for floor from the returned
> civic information and populate that into the same civic element
> that was created to put the floor info into.
>
> RATIONALE:- Civic data returned may not be sufficient to provide
> routing information, but may be extremely useful to people that
> need to look at the location.
Wouldn't these lead to loss of information (the floor from the civic)?

This sounds like we need a very short, new schema.  One that allows
this:

     <rfc3825:data>
       <gml:location>
       </gml:location>
       <cl:civilAddress>
         <cl:FLR>
         </cl:FLR>
       </cl:civilAddress>
     </rfc3825:data>

In that way, all the information can be sent:
   <gp:location-info>
     <rfc3825:data>
     </rfc3825:data>
     <cl:civilAddress>
     </cl:civilAddress>
   </gp:location-info>

> 2) If you request different location types at different times then
> the locations must be populated into different tuples.
But then the usage rules would be need to be repeated for every
location.

-andy