[Hipsec-rg] 答复: 答复: Key Revocation Issue

andrew at indranet.co.nz (Andrew McGregor) Fri, 23 January 2009 03:15 UTC

From: "andrew at indranet.co.nz"
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:15:38 +1300
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] 答复: 答复: Key Revocation Issue

It isn't reasonable to assume that each host is associated with a FQDN
(unless we make it so, for instance by constructing said FQDN out of
the HIT), for the majority of devices.  For example, is my cellphone
associated with an FQDN?  If so, is that FQDN at all useful for
access, identification or authorisation?  Probably not, since it is
under the control of the cellphone carrier; they might be able to use
it for some of those purposes, but I can't.

I believe it to be a design goal of HIP that it should be useful
without connectivity to the DNS; DNS record formats and packets may be
useful, but HIP itself should not require that any host have an FQDN
nor any ability to do DNS queries (except perhaps by querying its
immediate HIP peers... and even then, only for information about those
peers themselves, in zeroconf style).

Andrew