Re: [I18ndir] [art] Just uploaded draft-bray-unichars-03

Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> Mon, 11 September 2023 22:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 00:12:03 +0200
Author: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, i18ndir@ietf.org, ART Area <art@ietf.org>, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
Subject: Re: [I18ndir] [art] Just uploaded draft-bray-unichars-03

Asmus Freytag wrote in
 <d9d5dee0-24d1-54f0-dde9-4bb9ad2e56e7@ix.netcom.com>:
 |On 9/9/2023 4:44 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
 |> On Sep 9, 2023 at 9:58:43 AM, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> \
 |> wrote:
 |>> In 2.2.2.2 i would not say "legacy controls", and that they are
 |>> "mostly obsolete".  ECMA-48 is very alive in at least the POSIX
 |>> aka Linux world, for many purposes, for example terminal
 |> So, in section 23.1 of [UNICODE] it says "There are 65 code points set
 |> aside in the Unicode Standard for compatibility with the C0 and C1
 |> work on. This clearly feels like “legacy” and “mostly obsolete” to me.
 |Yes, for text data, these are legacy.

I think pure text data, when something can be achieved in a better
way by one of the new control characters.

 |However, there are modern implementations of terminals and their
 |protocols would use ECMA48. (There's an ISO standard that matches ECMA48
 |and which is cited in the Unicode Standard, I think it's 6942).

ISO 6429 i think you mean.

I want to point out that new things get developed, like OSC-8 to
embed references in plain text.  The new GNU roff added (only
partial, unfortunately) support for that, for example.

 |I keep suggesting that the way out for this is to acknowledge that some
 |data streams have needs for these code points and if your spec must

Yes please!

 |include them, but you would like to avoid surrogates and non-characters,
 |that the answer would be to construct your own subset by extending the
 |Useful-Assignables with as many control codes as you need (in an
 |explicit list).

Oh i agree with you.  I would still exclude at least all sorts of
BOM, you cannot even transmit a "modern" text file using this
approach otherwise?

 |That gets your draft out of the business of creating subsets for edge
 |cases, while simultaneously staying relevant even for people writing
 |such specs. (I'd see that as a win-win).

And really one should not declare "programming errors" onto users
of this draft.

--steffen