Re: [Ianaplan] Process concern regarding the IETF proposal development process

Avri Doria <avri@acm.org> Sat, 24 January 2015 17:14 UTC

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 12:14:45 -0500
From: Avri Doria <avri@acm.org>
To: ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Process concern regarding the IETF proposal development process

Hi,

Early in the IETF process, it was indeed an issue that was discussed and
identified as out of scope for the WG.  I was one of those arguing that
it needed to be considered.  I have never been comfortable with
so-called nuclear options being the first line of known defense.

As a well trained follower of process, I desisted from arguing my
concerns, which in this case paralleled those of others.

Do I understand correctly  Bernard's answer to say that the IETF
submission to the ICG is somehow  incomplete until there is such as
authoritative answer from the IAOC on how the issue would be handled.
Such an understanding surprised me as I had not thought of it before,
but it does not seem unreasonable.  Off course I may be misunderstanding
what was said.

I know that in the Names community work, gaining an understanding of the
legal environment and the way of actually dealing with the legal points
of appeals and possible future decisions to remove the function from
ICANN  before the crisis point, is a gating concern and part of the
reason are still working on developing our response - we need legal
advice before we can complete our work.  But in that case there is no
doubt that the legal aspects are in scope for the Cross community WG.

Perhaps once the Names community has completed its work, and I hope it
is real soon, there will be some clue that can be used on legal
arrangements and appeals mechanisms by the other communities, upon
recommendation from the ICG.

As for whether ICG experts should be expected to understand the
intricacies of the arrangements supplied by the 3 communities, I am sure
that each group having picked its finest, they are certainly capable of
doing so,  And I beleive that as a group coordinating the puzzle of the
partial responses from all communities they need to do so to figure out
how to fit the 3 answers (once the have the 3) into a consistent
response for NTIA.

Tough job, I wish them well.

avri