Re: The IETF duty for Carbon emissions, energy use &ct.

Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> Tue, 16 October 2007 01:31 UTC

From: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:31:25 -0700
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: The IETF duty for Carbon emissions, energy use &ct.

On Oct 15, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Joel,
>
>> The volunteers built a model that was sustainable with a modest
>> amount of capital and time. both jabber and and streaming audio.
>
> For which many thanks from many of us, I'm sure. Also, the
> Secretariat built a tool so that all slides can be uploaded before
> each session, or even in real time during the session.
>
> Of course, it isn't the same thing as telepresence over dedicated
> bandwidth, but that's in a different financial league.

IM conversations or debates using text only are difficult, to type
the least.  Few have the patience needed to wait for others to finish
typing before changing the topic.  Access to the room microphone
remotely would be nice.  Perhaps a fee-based vetting might be used to
limit access to this expensive resource.  Also, those attending would
not want to contend with thousands of others queued up on-line to ask
their question and then perhaps one follow-up.

Many IETF participants already use Skype.  Skype runs on Linux, OSX,
and Windows.  Skype works through many different firewalls as well.
It could be interesting to find whether a phone bridge can be easily
controlled by the room moderator is available.  The cost may not be
too great when using network based voice clients and a soft switch?
Is there an open-source alternative?

-Doug