Re: last call discussion status on draft-iab-2870bis

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 05 March 2015 04:41 UTC

To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Subject: Re: last call discussion status on draft-iab-2870bis
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 15:41:21 +1100
Cc: IAB <iab@iab.org>, ietf@ietf.org

In message <4B545BEB-EA0E-4BA8-A45E-15AF12CDB1EC@piuha.net>, Jari Arkko writes:
> I wanted to come back to the status of the discussions.
>
> We have an ongoing discussion of the changes Marc made on the -02. My
> read of the feedback is that the update has done the right things, but:
>
> 1) Paul Hoffman's clarifications & editorial changes seem useful, but I
> would like to hear what others think. Marc, you should respond to those
> as well.
>
> 2) Mark Andrews' suggestion of further requirements regarding reserved
> bits was discussed, but should proceed separately.
>
> 3) Mark Andrews' suggestion of further requirements regarding EDNS0 has
> not been discussed, but I would note that at this stage we should not add
> major requirements without substantial community portion indicating that
> this is needed. I'm not hearing it.

I suspect this is because the root servers actually correctly
implement EDNS.  If a server was changed to a implementation that
failed to correctly implement EDNS that would change.  There are a
number of drafts before dnsop at the moment that require EDNS to
be properly implement.  I'm a co-author of one of them.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org