Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> Wed, 02 April 2003 16:20 UTC

From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Subject: Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))
To: moore@cs.utk.edu
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 08:12:36 -0800
Cc: harald@alvestrand.no, moore@cs.utk.edu, bmanning@ISI.EDU, ietf@ietf.org
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

% > > 	Are the apps for which IPv6 is enabled that -can not-
% > > 	use address literals?  If so, then Steve is wrong and
% > > 	the DNS has become critical infrastructure to the working
% > > 	of the Internet.
% >
% > anyone who believes that the DNS is not critical infrastructure for just
% > about every single purpose the Internet is used for is either living in a
% > fantasy world or has redefined the "Internet" to be something that's
% > strictly at layer 3 and below.
%
% agreed.  but there's a difference between saying that DNS is critical
% infrastructure and that it's appropriate to use DNS every time an address is
% needed.  DNS is necessary, not sufficient.
%
% Keith

	to pass bits, in the IPv4 world, DNS is -NOT- critical.
	no application forbids address literals and every app
	will allow address literals to be used.  Couple this with
	the fact that IPv4 addresses are within the scope of human
	comprehension, i.e. I can remember 128.9.160.160

	with IPv6, the addresses are long enough to not be human
	friendly, e.g.  2001:0478:6: is about as much as I remember
	on my own...  I must use the DNS or my little yellow sticky note
	to complete the address.  And there are intimations that some
	applications now forbid the use of address literals, even
	if bracketed.

	Sounds like you both are arguing that the DNS has become
	"embedded" and the applications that use IP are unusable
	without a working DNS.  This assertion, if true, has ramifcations
	beyond a simple requirement to have the latency of an extra
	lookup against a third party.  (Can you say "Death to e2e!...
	sure you can :)

--bill