Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-why64-00.txt]

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 15 January 2014 15:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:52:09 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-why64-00.txt]

Hello,

Just out of curiosity... below...

Le 10/01/2014 11:57, Emmanuel Thierry a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Le 10 janv. 2014 à 09:53, Alexandru Petrescu a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks for the post.
>>
>> I could understand the need to spam block an entire /64 instead (a
>>  single line in a configuration file) rathern than 2^64 lines each
>>  telling an address in that file.
>>
>> Yes, this is relevant when writing other firewalling rules as
>> well.
>>
>> In this sense it is good to have an 'overall' number - like a /64
>> - to designate one particular link and subnet.
>>
>> And one may like to use other such overall numbers such as a /65
>> or a /63 to designate these links.
>>
>> And yes, the privacy extensions RFC4941 makes that attacker may
>> use that overall number /64 to generate addresses, and defender
>> may need to use same number /64 to comfortably protect against it.
>> A smarter attacker would use a /63 and a smarter defender too.
>
> Definitely. However, as an attacker, having a smaller prefix than a
> IPv6 /64 to exploit for your attack could correspond in IPv4 to use
> a smaller prefix than /32. I mean that as a defender, i would use
> against an attacker who smartly uses its /63 or smaller, the same
> techniques than an attacker who have access to an IPv4 /31 or
> smaller: blacklist sequentially all IPv6 /64 that this attacker is
> using. So anyway, a /64 boundary would at least help to leverage the
> problem.
>
> This could also be a good hint to network operators or hosters. Some
> virtual machine providers (for instance) divide their /64 into
> smaller prefixes (i saw /96),

When a virtual machine uses a /96 instead of a /64, is that prefix
present in an RA?

And, is there some address auto-configuration involved?  (wondering
about how is the Interface ID formed, because with Ethernet it must be
64bit long).

(for example, in some non-Ethernet links - like IP/USB, or some
IP/cellular - there are some particular non-documented mechanisms to
form Interface IDs; but these are still 64bit length, never 22bit)

Alex

  which may imply that a bad behavior