Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-why64-00.txt]

Emmanuel Thierry <ml@sekil.fr> Fri, 10 January 2014 10:57 UTC

Subject: Re: [Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-why64-00.txt]
From: Emmanuel Thierry <ml@sekil.fr>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:57:00 +0100
To: 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

Le 10 janv. 2014 à 09:53, Alexandru Petrescu a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the post.
>
> I could understand the need to spam block an entire /64 instead (a
> single line in a configuration file) rathern than 2^64 lines each
> telling an address in that file.
>
> Yes, this is relevant when writing other firewalling rules as well.
>
> In this sense it is good to have an 'overall' number - like a /64 - to
> designate one particular link and subnet.
>
> And one may like to use other such overall numbers such as a /65 or a
> /63 to designate these links.
>
> And yes, the privacy extensions RFC4941 makes that attacker may use that
> overall number /64 to generate addresses, and defender may need to use
> same number /64 to comfortably protect against it.  A smarter attacker
> would use a /63 and a smarter defender too.

Definitely. However, as an attacker, having a smaller prefix than a IPv6 /64 to exploit for your attack could correspond in IPv4 to use a smaller prefix than /32.
I mean that as a defender, i would use against an attacker who smartly uses its /63 or smaller, the same techniques than an attacker who have access to an IPv4 /31 or smaller: blacklist sequentially all IPv6 /64 that this attacker is using. So anyway, a /64 boundary would at least help to leverage the problem.

This could also be a good hint to network operators or hosters. Some virtual machine providers (for instance) divide their /64 into smaller prefixes (i saw /96), which may imply that a bad behavior from one of their clients might influence other servers. I think there should be a clear mention of the consequences it may have. Such a mention may help to promote best practices (TODO: define best practices).

Best regards
Emmanuel Thierry