Re: [irs-discuss] IRS comments

Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net> Fri, 31 August 2012 22:58 UTC

From: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net>
To: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>, Edward Crabbe <edc@google.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:56:58 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: David Meyer <dmm@1-4-5.net>, "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com>, "Dutta, Pranjal K (Pranjal)" <pranjal.dutta@alcatel-lucent.com>, "Shah, Himanshu" <hshah@ciena.com>, "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] IRS comments

On 8/30/12 8:43 PM, "Alia Atlas" <akatlas@gmail.com> wrote:

>On the encap/decap, I certainly view encap as simply a different type
>of next-hop that a route to the RIB can have.  Similarly, one can view
>decap as treating a particular label/prefix - though that may require
>more complexity.

	As well as also recursing to look into another table. For example, l3
vrfs connected to VPLS.

>Negotiation is another area to think about too.  Clearly, there will
>be some capability negotiation needed as part of IRS - as well as the
>ability to query for what capabilities are supported by the routing
>element.

	I would rather do capability advertisement rather than negotiation. That
is, agents should be able to understand what sorts of bits, knobs and
buttons they can fiddle with, but I do not think it is important to have a
full negotiation between the IRS agent and client about the diffs.  Lets
keep things as simple as possible.

	--Tom