Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

Rene Bartsch <ietf@bartschnet.de> Thu, 31 October 2013 13:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:51:21 +0100
From: Rene Bartsch <ietf@bartschnet.de>
To: lisp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

Am 2013-10-30 16:31, schrieb Luigi Iannone:
> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking that may be it is worth to (re)open the discussion
> about the EID block size.
>
> Currently we are requesting a /16 and asking to reserve the /12
> covering it. This was the outcome from the WG consensus, hence, it has
> not been changed in the document.
>
> Yet, one of the main critics during the review was about the size of
> the block which seems too large.
>
> Any thought about a change in the requested EID block size?
>
> Should we keep it as it is?
> Should we shrink it? How much?

To which document are you referring? draft-ietf-lisp-eid-block-06.txt
proposes /16 with /12 reserved.

Having the possibility to establish global, provider-independant
network-roaming for consumers with LISP, a /16 with 2^32 /48 will not
suffice for each natural person on this planet. We already will have to
assign /56 to natural persons and bigger prefixes to corporate entities
with /16 only.

In fact I'm already considering the requirements for global,
provider-independant network-roaming for consumers. In short:

1. Assignments of EID-prefixes should for lifetime, provider-independent
and remain in force when EID-prefix-bearers change the RIR region.
2. Each natural person can register ONE /56 EID block (256 possible /64
subnets should suffice for a natural person).
3. Corporate entities can register a reasonable EID-prefix based on
their size, infrastructure and expected growth.
4. LIRs can charge a reasonable fee once but MUST NOT recharge fees. The
fee should be low enough to allow any natural person to register a
EID-prefix.
5. Bearer of EID-prefixes can select any Map Server service or run it
themselves to encourage reasonable fees by competition.

And I think /16 is a good start. If LISP fails, the /16 will be usable
again in 6 years. If it succeeds, IANA will have to hurry assigning the
/12 block! ;-)

AVM-routers will provide LISP-clients for 50% of the german and 20% of
the european internet-sockets until end of the year. LISPmob provides
support for Linux and Android (although Android still requires rooting).

Regards,

Renne