Re: [Ltru] Extlang stability (was: extlang)

"Mark Davis" <mark.davis@icu-project.org> Thu, 13 September 2007 21:30 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=WO0eCo8eV+wOAhBsPA6PaZsNOdhPpO9C7He4NQozqws=; b=JuyOH8TpNkjKViKiksgqMBbezhmHLrdGVJ+zwWzSyfBIWHWvvVMMfj6BMLgNII50mgDlvwGBO3pT+E79KLJXgp15IDrhDTk2fmF0GStemeS816B8jbadVtxvoDyfJ3MlcUz56A4PrPHuNIUcLzbO2aq/3BiLQzMbxEryCVhwKFQ=
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:30:42 -0700
From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Extlang stability (was: extlang)
Cc: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, ltru@lists.ietf.org

First, I don't want to belabor the point about scripts, but it is easy to
recognize when a particular language is written in a script. The harder part
is determining usage. That is different from the language case, where as you
know the boundaries between languages are *FAR* less well defined; as you go
from one village to another you get accumulating differences that finally at
some point you say constitute separate languages.

As to macrolanguage, it appears that we are in general consensus on the
usefulness of having the Macrolanguage field in the registry.

The open issue is whether we also bake it into the extlang structure. I'm
hoping that in the telecon we can make some progress on resolving that
issue.

Mark

--
Mark