Re: extlang (was Re: Suggested language for "mis" (Re: [Ltru] RE: ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"))

"Doug Ewell" <dewell@roadrunner.com> Mon, 18 June 2007 05:07 UTC

From: Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: extlang (was Re: Suggested language for "mis" (Re: [Ltru] RE: ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"))
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:07:23 -0700

Mark Davis wrote:

> There are at least three open issues listed in
> http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-06.html.
>
> Extlang is one of them. I'll step back a bit, since it appears that we
> don't have consensus about making a change in extlang from RFC 4646.
>
> So we need to revive the discussion from back in March.

I agree.  For those who wish to follow the extlang discussion, the question
is: for languages listed in ISO 639-3 that are not already present in the
Registry, should we:

1.  add all of them as primary language subtags, or
2.  take the 5% that are encompassed by an ISO 639-3 macrolanguage, add them
as extended language (extlang) subtags, and add the other 95% as primary
language subtags?

The discussion in March started with this message from Mark:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg07288.html

Chase the "Follow-Ups" links to follow the thread.

My view is that we should keep the primary/extlang relationship that we have
been planning since 2004 to reflect the ISO 639-3 macrolanguage
relationship.  It allows identification of the individual languages while
staying compatible with the way people have tagged them in the past, and in
some cases with the way people will always perceive them (i.e. "Arabic"
rather than 30 different flavors).  Expecting matching engines to have "a
bit more smarts" so they can match "yue" with "zh" doesn't work for me when
we can't even expect them to be smart enough to match "en-US" with
"en-Latn-US".

But that's just my view, and the important thing is for the list to discuss
the matter and reach a consensus so we can move forward.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/