Re: [mpls-tp] poll to adopt draft-nitinb-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv as a working group document

Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net> Thu, 08 July 2010 19:47 UTC

From: Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net>
To: Zhang Haiyan <zhanghaiyan@huawei.com>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:17:39 -0700
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.4.0.100208
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] poll to adopt draft-nitinb-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv as a working group document

Hi Haiyan,

On 7/1/10 6:53 PM, "Zhang Haiyan" <zhanghaiyan@huawei.com> wrote:

> No/ do not support.
>
> Several comments need clarification:
>
> 1) We do not see how the content of the draft satisfies "on-demand-cv" as
> claimed in the title. We only see "LSP-Ping" and "LSP Traceroute" in the main
> part of the draft.

> In the introduction part we also see the "on-demand Connectivity Verification,
> Route Tracing and Adjacency functions".
> Could the authors clarify the "on-demand CV"?

I agree that the text needs a little working to make it clear how on-demand
CV, Route tracing and Adjaceny are achieved. The current text is based
around the solution (lsp-ping), rather than the requirement (cv,
route-tracing). The authors will fix this in the next revision.

> 2) Could the authors clarify the purpose of describing "LSP-Ping with IP
> encapsulation" and "LSP Traceroute with IP encapsulation"?

Thanks for asking. As per Section 2.1.4 of RFC 5860

" It MUST be possible to deploy the OAM functionality in any of these
   environments.  As a result, it MUST be possible to operate OAM
   functions with or without relying on IP capabilities, and it MUST be
   possible to choose to make use of IP capabilities when these are
   present."

To ensure that the above requirement was met, we added the sections on
LSP-ping with IP encap.

> The draft seems to be just a regular extension of MPLS LSP ping, not
> particular for MPLS-TP. Shouldn't it be a draft with the name
> "mpls-lsp-ping-extensions"?

Godo question. It is true that the extensions apply equally well to regular
MPLS LSPs. As per the MPLS-TP Joint Working Team guidelines, all drafts that
address mpls-tp requirement/solutions should have a mpls-tp name (for
simplicity for IETF WG chairs and their ITU counter-parts).

Hope that helps.
Nitin