Re: [mpls-tp] [mpls] poll to adopt draft-nitinb-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv as a working group document

Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com> Mon, 14 March 2011 14:01 UTC

From: Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com>
To: Zhang Haiyan <zhanghaiyan@huawei.com>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, MPLS-TP ad hoc team <ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:02:53 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] [mpls] poll to adopt draft-nitinb-mpls-tp-on-demand-cv as a working group document

Haiyan,

	This is largely a semantics issue.

	The extensions described in this draft are intended to - among
other things - support the requirements of a transport profile of
MPLS.  Those requirements initially drove the creation of this draft.
It is still the case that these extensions are intended to support a
transport profile of MPLS.

	However, as you note, they also support usage in an environment
that may not be strictly limited to "transport" in the sense that has
been used in referring to a "transport profile."  Specifically, in
cases where (for example) IP addressing may be used generally in the
services being provided by a service provider who also plane to use
similar/identical technology to support "transport" requirements.

	It appears to be the (rough?) consensus of the MPLS working
group that "LSP-Ping" is the tool of choice for on demand CV.  Ping,
in general, has filled a role as on-demand connectivity verification
in IP-based networks for a very long time, and network operators who
plan to use IP infrastructure to support their own "transport" needs
are generally aware of this tool and the on-going need for it in the
IP network infrastrcture.

--
Eric