[Netconf] Re:  WGLC for draft-ietf-netconf-t ls-04.txt

badra@isima.fr Sat, 27 September 2008 14:16 UTC

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:49:33 +0200
From: badra@isima.fr
To: j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
Cc: � <netconf@ietf.org>
Subject: [Netconf] Re:  WGLC for draft-ietf-netconf-t ls-04.txt
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 02:05:51PM +0800, fanhuaxiang 90002624 wrote:
>> Hi,
>> in section 2, it says,
>> "The other party MUST respond with a close_notify alert of
>> its own and close down the connection immediately, discarding any
>> pending writes"
>> I wanna ask why immediately instead of sending pening writes before
>> close down the connection.
>
> And I like to add whether it is normal practice that the TLS teardown
> procedure is application protocol specific. RFC 5246 section 7.2.1
> discusses closure alerts in TLS 1.2 and I like to understand why we
> need additional text for NETCONF over TLS.

I think we should correct that. What about adopting the text of section
4.4 of syslog-tls
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-13.txt).

   "A TLS client MUST close the associated TLS connection if the
   connection is not expected to deliver any NETCONF messages later.  It
   MUST send a TLS close_notify alert before closing the connection.  A
   client MAY choose to not wait for the server's close_notify alert and
   simply close the connection, thus generating an incomplete close on
   the seFrom netconf-bounces@ietf.org  Sat Sep 27 07:16:16 2008
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 02:05:51PM +0800, fanhuaxiang 90002624 wrote:
>> Hi,
>> in section 2, it says,
>> "The other party MUST respond with a close_notify alert of
>> its own and close down the connection immediately, discarding any
>> pending writes"
>> I wanna ask why immediately instead of sending pening writes before
>> close down the connection.
>
> And I like to add whether it is normal practice that the TLS teardown
> procedure is application protocol specific. RFC 5246 section 7.2.1
> discusses closure alerts in TLS 1.2 and I like to understand why we
> need additional text for NETCONF over TLS.

I think we should correct that. What about adopting the text of section
4.4 of syslog-tls
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-13.txt).

   "A TLS client MUST close the associated TLS connection if the
   connection is not expected to deliver any NETCONF messages later.  It
   MUST send a TLS close_notify alert before closing the connection.  A
   client MAY choose to not wait for the server's close_notify alert and
   simply close the connection, thus generating an incomplete close on
   rver side.  Once the server gets a close_notify from the
   client, it MUST reply with a close_notify unless it becomes aware
   that the connection has already been closed by the client (e.g., the
   closure was indicated by TCP).

   When no data is received from a connection for a long time (where the
   application decides what "long" means), a server MAY close the
   connection.  The server MUST attempt to initiate an exchange of
   close_notify alerts with the client before closing the connection.
   Servers that are unprepared to receive any more data MAY close the
   connection after sending the close_notify alert, thus generating an
   incomplete close on the client side.  When the client has received
   the close_notify alert from the server and still has pending data to
   send, it SHOULD send the pending data before sending the close_notify
   alert."

Best regards,

the server side.  Once the server gets a close_notify from the