Re: [Netconf] WGLC for draft-ietf-netconf-tls-04.txt

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 01 October 2008 10:49 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: badra@isima.fr
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:40:33 +0200
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf] WGLC for draft-ietf-netconf-tls-04.txt
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

----- Original Message -----
From: <badra@isima.fr>
To: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: <badra@isima.fr>; "David Harrington" <dbharrington@comcast.net>;
<netconf@ietf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:22 PM

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: <badra@isima.fr>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:40:33 +0200
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf]
	=?utf-8?q?WGLC=C2=A0for=C2=A0draft-ietf-netconf-tls-04?=
	=?utf-8?q?=2Etxt?=
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

> >>      Implementation of the protocol specified in this document MAY
> >>      implement any TLS cipher suite that provides mutual authentication.
> >>
> >>      Implementations MUST support TLS 1.2 [RFC5246] and are REQUIRED to
> >>      support the mandatory to implement cipher suite, which is
> >>      TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA.  This document is assumed to apply to
> >>      future versions of TLS, in which case the mandatory to implement
> >>      cipher suite for the implemented versioversion MUST be supported.
> >>
> >>      In the case of the pre-shared key authentication (described in
> >>      Section 3.3), implementations are REQUIRED to support the cipher
> >>      suite TLS_DHE_PSK_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA RFC4279].
> >>
> >> Comments?
> >> Best regards,
> >> Badra
> >>

> > I think that you need more than this, somewhere in the document, giving
> > the
> > applicability of the two very different suites, when is one appropriate,
> > when the other.
>
> I think the "applicability" or the benefits of using pre-shared key based
> authentication have been explained in the Introduction of [RFC4279]. To
> recall of them, would be sufficient to insert the following text at the
> end of the first paragraph of Section 3? (The use of PSK is a MAY, not a
> SHOULD)
>
> "The benefits of pre-shared symmetric-key vs. public-/private-key pair
> based authentication for the key exchange in TLS have been explained in
> the Introduction of [RFC4279]".

Weeeellllll I sort of see what you mean. Section 1.1 says

"1.1.  Applicability Statement

   The ciphersuites defined in this document are intended for a rather
   limited set of applications, usually involving only a very small
   number of clients and servers.  Even in such environments, other
   alternatives may be more appropriate.

   If the main goal is to avoid Public-Key Infrastructures (PKIs),
   another possibility worth considering is using self-signed
   certificates with public key fingerprints.  Instead of manually
   configuring a shared secret in, for instance, some configuration
   file, a fingerprint (hash) of the other party's public key (or
   certificate) could be placed there instead.

   It is also possible to use the SRP (Secure Remote Password)
   ciphersuites for shared secret authentication [SRP].  SRP was
   designed to be used with passwords, and it incorporates protection
   against dictionary attacks.  However, it is computationally more
   expensive than the PSK ciphersuites in Section 2."

which is all quite negative, not exactly benefits or applicability; and syslog
went down the fingerprint route so what makes netconf different, why is it one
of those 'limited set of applications'?

Tom Petch