Re: [Netconf]   WGLC for draft-ietf-netconf-t ls-04.txt

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Mon, 29 September 2008 19:10 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: badra@isima.fr, j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:10:14 -0400
Cc: 'Â' <netconf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Netconf]   WGLC for draft-ietf-netconf-t ls-04.txt
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

FYI. draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-14 (currently under AD review)
has updated that section to make a clearer distinction between the TLS
actions and the application actions. Transport sender and transport
receiver refer to syslog application fuctionality, and they coordinate
the closure actions.

   A transport sender MUST close the associated TLS connection if the
   connection is not expected to deliver any syslog messages later.
It
   MUST send a TLS close_notify alert before closing the connection.
   transport sender (TLS client) MAY choose to not wait for the
   transport receiver's close_notify alert and simply close the
   connection, thus generating an incomplete close on the transport
   receiver (TLS server) side.  Once the transport receiver gets a
   close_notify from the transport sender, it MUST reply with a
   close_notify unless it becomes aware that the connection has
already
   been closed by the transport sender (e.g., the closure was
indicated
   by TCP).

   When no data is received from a connection for a long time (where
the
   application decides what "long" means), a transport receiver MAY
   close the connection.  The transport receiver (TLS server) MUST
   attempt to initiate an exchange of close_notify alerts with the
   transport sender before closing the connection.  Transport
receivers
   that are unprepared to receive any more data MAY close the
connection
   after sending the close_notify alert, thus generating an incomplete
   close on the transport sender side.  When the transport sender (TLS
   client) has received the close_notify alert from the transport
   receiver and still has pending data to send, it SHOULD send the
   pending data before sending the close_notify alert.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net
dharrington@huawei.com