Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Wed, 27 August 2008 18:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:31:02 -0400
From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: oran@cisco.com, ldusseault@commerce.net
Cc: p2pi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

>1. my ISP runs a redirector to their "transparent" ALTO server so I can't get directly to the one I want to get to.

I'm not sure I understand the motivation or rationale for an ISP to run a "transparent ALTO server".

First, my understanding is that ISPs would not require users to make ALTO queries for usage. So if the ISP intercepts ALTO messages, then users could stop sending ALTO messages altogether, and/or send 'alt-ALTO' messages that are not intercepted by the ISP and are processed by the alt-ALTO server desired by the user. So it would seem that ISP interception of ALTO messages would be self-defeating for the ISP.

Second, ALTO clients may include P2P clients and trackers, among other entities. ALTO requests from (typically off-net) P2P trackers would be difficult if not impossible for the ISP to intercept.

The premise of the ALTO protocol is that both the user and ISP benefit from its usage, right? So why would a 'transparent ALTO server' even be necessary for the ISP?

I am not opposed to the concept of the non-ISP ALTO server, I just don't understand why the ISP would be incented to intercept those requests.

-- Rich