Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol

Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com> Thu, 11 September 2008 20:28 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:28:00 -0400
From: Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com>
To: Salman Abdul Baset <sa2086@columbia.edu>
Cc: p2pi@ietf.org, Richard Woundy <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

(1) If an ISP configures their ALTO server to tell applications that the users' uplink is less than it really is, I think that could have two effects. For users inside the ISP, it would tend to suppress internal traffic and cause peers to download from external peers, which is probably bad for the ISP. And it might tend to cause peers from outside the ISP to shift traffic elsewhere to some degree, which would reduce uplink utilization, which would be an incentive to 'aim low'. How these two factors would balance out would depend on the ISP's infrastructure.

(2) I don't believe that the p2p network would have to decide that the ISP's ALTO server was 'lying'. P2P networks all currently measure observed throughput between peers and use that to make decisions. If they add ALTO provisioning information, I would expect that they would treat observed throughput as being more true than the ALTO guidance. So without having to make a decision about 'ALTO lying' the p2p network would tend to take advantage of good ALTO guidance (because ALTO guidance and p2p performance optimization reinforce each other) and would tend to cancel out bad ALTO guidance (because the p2p performance optimization would end up overruling the ALTO guidance).

- Laird Popkin, CTO, Pando Networks
  mobile: 646/465-0570