Re: [P2PSIP] New draft: HIP BONE

Ali Fessi <ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de> Wed, 26 December 2007 12:54 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:53:38 +0100
From: Ali Fessi <ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] New draft: HIP BONE

Hi Gonzalo,

what is if peers add the HIP ORCHID at the first position of the list of
gathered addresses for ICE?

Since a HIP overlay, let's say a HIP BONE, will provide e2e
connectivity, peers in the same HIP BONE will then be able to
communicate as if they would be in the same private network if they use
the HIP ORCHID as "IP addresses" and they woule be able to benefit from
all the advantages of using HIP.

If they are not in the same HIP BONE, they would need to establish
connectivity through other type of addresses, e.g. those retreived by STUN.

Do you think that would work?

Cheers,
  Ali

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> thanks for your comments.
>
> Regarding your question about Sections 3.2 and 3.3 when RELOAD is the
> peer protocol and HIP BONE is used for connection management, the idea
> is to use HIP, instead of RELOAD, to perform connection management. All
> the other functions RELOAD typically performs are still performed by
> RELOAD.
>
> RELOAD defines the CONNECT primitive and the TUNNEL primitive. If HIP is
> being used, you would use the CONNECT primitive of HIP (i.e., an I1
> packet) *instead* of the CONNECT primitive of RELOAD. The same way, you
> would use the TUNNEL primitive of HIP (i.e., a HIP message) *instead* of
> the TUNNEL primitive of RELOAD.
>
> Regarding when to use these primitives, you would use them in the same
> way as defined by RELOAD. That is, when RELOADs tells you to use a
> CONNECT primitive today, you would send an I1 message. When RELOAD tells
> you to use the TUNNEL primitive today, you would use a HIP message as
> well. That is, RELOAD (not HIP BONE) tells you what to do  (i.e., which
> primitive to use) and when to do it.
>
> As you can see, the only modifications to RELOAD in this context is the
> substitution of these two primitives by the HIP equivalent ones.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gonzalo
>

> Bruce Lowekamp wrote:
>> Gonzalo,
>>
>> Many thanks to you, Pekka, and Jani for putting in yet more effort to
>> try to clarify a possible role for HIP in P2PSIP.
>>
>> At a high level, in section 5 you list two potential outcomes, which
>> are for the wg to settle on HIP for all connection management or for
>> the wg to not use hip, but retain modularity that allows it.  I would
>> rather see option 2 reworded along the lines of "the wg will develop a
>> protocol that uses HIP as one possible choice for its connection
>> management layer.  The HIP module will not be mandatory to implement,
>> but its specification will be developed by the wg."  I think that's
>> something along the lines of what you're thinking.  It's certainly
>> what I'm hoping the outcome will be.  I am sure there are other
>> options as well (ignore hip, try to maintain compatibility but don't
>> specify, etc).
>>

>> On a specific issue, I'm still a little confused about where the line
>> is between what the overlay does with overlay routing and what
>> HIP-BONE should be responsible for.  Your section 3.2 proposes that I1
>> packets are sent across the Peer Protocol overlay.  Were I to
>> implement RELOAD on top of HIP-BONE, what exactly does this mean?
>> Does this mean that I send a RELOAD CONNECT message and the contents
>> of that message are now an I1 instead of ICE candidates?  Or would
>> RELOAD's CONNECT go away and RELOAD would simply try to send a message
>> directly to a new PeerID via its ORCHID and the HIP-BONE layer would
>> then produce an upcall to RELOAD asking that an I1 be tunneled across
> [...]

Ali Fessi
Computer Networks and Internet
University of Tuebingen, Germany
Phone: +49 7071 29-70576 / Fax: +49 7071 29-5220
EMail: ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de
Web: http://net.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~fessi/