RE: [P2PSIP] New draft: HIP BONE

"Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com> Wed, 26 December 2007 21:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] New draft: HIP BONE
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:59:03 -0800
From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>, Bruce Lowekamp <lowekamp@sipeerior.com>

Pekka,

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that there would be HIP
forwarding table(s) with next hop ORCHIDs.  There may be next hop IP
addresses or active HIP tunnels corresponding to each next hop ORCHID.
There may be multiple peer protocols populating this HIP table.

Then, it seems to be the case that there must be multiple HIP forwarding
tables, one for each overlay.  I think it has to be so because, unlike
routing, where different routing protocols will likely inject forwarding
table entries (prefixes) corresponding to separate regions of the IP
address space, each HIP-based overlay (and ORCHID space) overlaps the
ORCHID range completely.  Furthermore, nodes in a DHT will be
responsible for portions of the space and these portions will overlap
from overlay to overlay.

If so, then there is a requirement to be able to look up the right
forwarding table from an I1, which I think you are suggesting above in
the last paragraph.  So the I1 (and probably all HIP packets) needs to
carry some metadata about the ORCHID type in use, either in a new
parameter or embedded in a certificate.  Basically, there needs to be a
new namespace in use at the HIP forwarding layer-- the namespace
uniquely identifying overlays.  This could perhaps be the ORCHID Context
ID.

Another related question I have is whether you think the legacy
application API (based on sockets) would work anymore with ORCHIDs,
because if you get a raw ORCHID across the sockets API, you can't tell
by inspecting the ORCHID which overlay it belongs to, because the
context ID is not visible.  It seems that you would need to pass
metadata about the ORCHID across the sockets API, so that the node knows
which ORCHID-based overlay that it belongs to, or else you need to use
LSIs even in the IPv6 case (as suggested by Philip Matthews at the
Vancouver meeting).

Tom