RE: [P2PSIP] HIP: optional, mandatory?

"Oredope, Adetola" <aoredo@essex.ac.uk> Thu, 17 January 2008 08:10 UTC

Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] HIP: optional, mandatory?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:10:05 -0000
From: "Oredope, Adetola" <aoredo@essex.ac.uk>
To: JiangXingFeng <jiang.x.f@huawei.com>, "David A. Bryan" <dbryan@sipeerior.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>

Interestingly, I was thinking p2psip is supposed to replace the
centralised systems in conventional SIP with an overlay network. So,
what role does HIP precisely play in achieving this goal? NAT
transversal? What then happens if the firewall decides block these
packets? Am I missing something here? Or is there going to be a future
proposal for conventional SIP to also support HIP?
IMHO, I will suggest that p2psip should be designed in such a way that
it can be easily extended to support any future plugins. At least
conventional SIP has the advantage of being highly extendable. Who ever
though SIP would be used to manage optical networks.

Regards,

Tola