Re: [radext] Extended IDs

Peter Deacon <peterd@iea-software.com> Tue, 12 December 2017 06:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 22:11:26 -0800
From: Peter Deacon <peterd@iea-software.com>
To: "Brian Weis (bew)" <bew@cisco.com>
cc: "radext@ietf.org" <radext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [radext] Extended IDs

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017, Brian Weis (bew) wrote:

> draft-chen. With the same thought process I’m a little worried about
> defining "behavior previously left open to implementation
> interpretation” (as mentioned in Section 2.1 of draft-dekok). I cannot
> disagree that it “should" be OK, but the lack of certainly does add some
> risk.

Partially why I prefer draft-dekok-radext-request-authenticator.

Mitigates existing ambiguity that remains intact /w
draft-chen-radext-identifier-attr.

> I appreciate the arguments in draft-dekok that indicate that there
> should not be a problem with overloading, but because overloading
> protocol fields can carry unexpected risks my preference is to adopt the
> explicit approach in draft-chen.

Both drafts are "overloading" payload of RADIUS packets to carry
identifiers that clearly belong in header.  This has objectively
articulable consequences.

Due to "overloading" it is no longer possible to route and correlate
packets based on header information.  Implementations are now required to
decode attribute payloads to perform this function.  Possible new risks of
request and response attributes being mishandled or misinterpreted in
mixed environments.

Of the two draft-dekok-radext-request-authenticator appears to carry LESS
"overload" risks as only responses are modified.  Most importantly ORA is
native header information being used for header purposes unique to one and
only one specific request packet.  The major reason I support
draft-dekok-radext-request-authenticator it is intentionally designed to
mitigate "overload" risk.

On "Overloading" invoked by transmission of ORA.. RFC2865 Section 3
describes RA:

---
"In Access-Request Packets, the Authenticator value is a 16 octet random
number"

"The value SHOULD be unpredictable and unique over the lifetime of a
secret"

"Since it is expected that the same secret MAY be used to authenticate
with servers in disparate geographic regions, the Request Authenticator
field SHOULD exhibit global and temporal uniqueness."
---
For acct/dyn auth MD5 sum over packet.

I am aware of no objectively articulable consequences of using
authenticator for this purpose.  There are no architecturally pure options
on the table except time honored tradition of throwing more connections at
the problem.

regards,
Peter