Re: [rohc] New ROHC Milesstones.

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Fri, 11 September 2009 11:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:46:08 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Carl Knutsson <carl.knutsson@effnet.com>
Cc: "rohc@ietf.org" <rohc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rohc] New ROHC Milesstones.

Hi,

As the responsible AD I will give my view on the things that has been
brought up and where there are discussion.

Regarding the milestone:
Feb 2007 - ROHC encapsulation profile(s) for IPHC/CRTP/eCRTP submitted
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

This work was chartered on the 30th of August 2006. The only draft to
fulfill the WG item ever submitted was
draft-bormann-rohc-avt-crtp-profile-00. It was submitted in March 2007.
Since then there has been zero progress on this. This makes it clear
that there are no energy nor interest for this WG item. That is why I
will not hesitate a single second to kill that WG item.

When it comes to the two new item brought up as potential WG items I
have the following comments:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-rohc-over-802-02
This can be done as AD sponsored easily. The goal after all was that the
adaptation needed so that ROHC can be used for a specific link layer is
primarily intended to be done by the people that have the link layer
knowledge. This doesn't need to happen in the ROHC WG. So AD sponsored
is one way to get such a specification published. Another could be to do
it in IEEE. I don't have any strong views on this.

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-lei-rohc-sigcomp-static-dictionary-01.txt
I haven't seen a single comment from the WG regarding this individual
draft. I do value the WGs input into if this seems to a good idea.

But frankly, the ROHC WG seems to have very little energy left. Based on
the observed progress the last two years I think it is definitely time
to close down this WG and declare success. The WG has produced a number
of specification of good quality. Closing the WG does not prevent future
work on the ROHC specifications or extensions. Simply that the way to
accomplish these are different.

Best Regards

Magnus