Re: [rohc] New ROHC Milesstones.

"Ghyslain Pelletier" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com> Thu, 10 September 2009 10:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:45:49 +0200
From: Ghyslain Pelletier <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, Carl Knutsson <carl.knutsson@effnet.com>
Cc: rohc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rohc] New ROHC Milesstones.

Hello Carsten, others,

Given earlier discussions on this topic, my recollection is that there
was no agreement to move this as a working group draft. The reasons for
this was the lack of motivations, requirements or interest in pursuing
this work. Furthermore, this would introduce additional complexity to
our protocol, and the proposed solution has not been reviewed
technically.

> There are no new problems being solved, so much is true.
> But they are solved in a different way

Given the admitted lack of a real problem to address, new solutions
appear unnecessary and not worth-while the effort. Further, I do not
believe that getting around some suspected IPRs (to possibly fall into
other IPRs) is a typical motivation for specifying new profiles.

Cheers,

///Ghyslain