Re: [Roll] Adoption of draft-goyal-roll-rpl-compression as a new ROLL WG document

Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu> Sat, 03 September 2011 14:45 UTC

Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 09:47:30 -0500
From: Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu>
To: Ietf Roll <ietfroll@yahoo.com>
Cc: roll WG <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] Adoption of draft-goyal-roll-rpl-compression as a new ROLL WG document

I would like to respectfully submit that I find it very hard to accept the argument that a protocol should not be extended because the devices that dont implement the extension can't talk to devices that do. The compression scheme we proposed seems like a good optimization to us for some of the applications we are concerned with. Whether this is absolutely the best approach for all possible RPL applications, I dont know. As Pascal suggested, it is important to compress both data and control messages. May be GHC is a better approach. We will find out.

There was a lot of opposition to adding more stuff to core RPL. The (valid) argument was that any further additions would be introduced as supplementary documents. Now that core RPL is (almost) done, objections in the name of interoperability are being raised to deny useful extensions of the protocol and even to attack the core protocol itself. I find it to be a sorry state of affairs.

Thanks
Mukul