Re: [Roll] Adoption of draft-goyal-roll-rpl-compression as a new ROLL WG document

C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com> Fri, 02 September 2011 11:47 UTC

From: C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com>
To: Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 04:48:22 -0700
acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: roll WG <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] Adoption of draft-goyal-roll-rpl-compression as a new ROLL WG document

Hi all,

First, I think that we all agree that every bit saved in LLNs is a good thing.

That's why I definitely support the effort in defining a compression mechanism for RPL.

I was quite amazed by the storm messages created by this good initiative, but it seems that some messages were not fully related to the discussion Object.
It is sad because it may have discourage people to dig into this interesting discussion.

That's said, I don't see any problem for trying to design some improvements for RPL.
I think this rule is the same for every protocols.

As already mentioned in this discussion, it's all about *optional* improvements.
Designing new mechanism like compression doesn't mean that you HAVE to implement them.
So I don't  see why nodes won't interoperate if they all rely on the same RPL RFC.

Note that having a RFC speeds up implementations, as the protocols gets stable, and indeed push interoperability forward.
So I think that RPL becoming a RFC is a good thing, without preventing improvements, nor further modifications.

A lot of good work as been done in the 6loWPAN WG about compression, and I think we may find a good amount of good materials looking back to their work.
I think that some of the concerns raised in this discussion may found some answers in 6loWPAN HC early discussions.

Best,
Cédric.