RE: [SECMECH] Framework Bindings Vs. Mechanism Bridges

Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> Fri, 26 August 2005 18:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:54:56 -0700
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: Charles Clancy <clancy@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: RE: [SECMECH] Framework Bindings Vs. Mechanism Bridges
Cc: secmech@ietf.org
Sender: secmech-bounces@lists.ietf.org

> The Kerberos session key and consequently MK is bound to the EAP server, as
> the Kerberos is terminated at the EAP server, right?  It's a service ticket
> for the EAP server, not a particular NAS, so that would seem logical.  The
> MSKs can be bound to the individual NASes.  Should the NAI (or some other
> identifier) of the NAS be explicitly included in the PRF?
>
> Personally, I don't see how this is any different than any other EAP method,
> once you generate the MK.  Fast handoff in an EAP method, and not at the link
> layer, would have to involve AAA.  Otherwise you would need Diffie-Hellman to
> provide the forward secrecy.  Without it, any NAS through which a client
> roamed would be able to derive their future keys and decrypt their sessions.
>
> As for maintaining a cache -- the AAA server would have to maintain a cache of
> MKs for authenticated clients, presumably with some associated lifetime.  I'd
> think any fast reconnect scheme would require something similar, unless you
> were going to authenticate from scratch.
>
> Or, am I missing the point?

As noted in the EAP Key Framework document, the EAP layer does not cache
exported EAP keying material, either on the client or the server.  Caching
is only permitted in the lower layer (AAA is a lower layer from the EAP
perspective).

Several proposed fast handoff schemes require caching on the AAA server,
including pre-emptive handoff and key request.

However, AAA servers today do not cache EAP keying parameters  -- they discard
all EAP keying material (not just the transported keying material) once they
send the MSK to the NAS.  So asking the AAA server to implement a key
cache is a significant change from the existing architecture.

This doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done -- but a change that
substantial shouldn't be done on an adhoc basis.  Some open questions:

a. How does the peer know what AAA server it is dealing with?  The EAP Key
Framework has added the Server-ID parameter to enable the peer to know
this, but not all EAP methods define this parameter.  Do we want fast
handoff to only be supported for methods with a defined Server-ID?

b. How does the peer request that the NAS contact a particular AAA server
(either for requesting a key or validating a ticket)?  Does it include the
Server-ID in the message?

c. How does the AAA server validate that the ticket is being used by the
EAP peer that it granted access to?  Do we require that the peer NAI be
the same as the Kerberos Principal name of the peer?  Do we require that
the Server-ID be the same as the Kerberos Principal name of the AAA
server?

d. How does the peer know whether a particular NAS is configured to
connect to a AAA server from whom it has received a ticket?