RE: [Sipping] draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs-02.txt

"Medhavi Bhatia" <mbhatia@nextone.com> Fri, 21 October 2005 17:34 UTC

From: Medhavi Bhatia <mbhatia@nextone.com>
To: henry@sinnreich.net, 'Arjun Roychowdhury' <arjunrc@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs-02.txt
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:34:24 -0400
Cc: 'sipping' <sipping@ietf.org>
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

BCP track?

I think we still need a major focus change on the draft before it becomes
more generally useful.

The intent of the draft is the right thing to do, however it is really
suggesting requirements on what needs to be done and can't be done using
standardized SIP.

Another case is the existence of similar behavior in other platforms like
prepaid for broadband (which tends to use similar NAT traversal techniques).
The case is that in some closed environments these mechanisms are seen as
valid choices to make (Consider IMS/TISPAN border elements for example).

I think the draft needs to focus on these alternate ways of doing things and
potentially point out the considerations which need to be kept in mind when
the implementers do the analysis and make a choice. It should definitely not
make a case that the analysis needs to be done only for SBCs (which is why I
think it needs a focus change).

-Medhavi.

Of