Re: [Tsvwg] Adopting draft-behringer-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying as WG item?

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Tue, 29 January 2008 10:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:53:22 +0100
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Adopting draft-behringer-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying as WG item?
Cc: RJ Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>, tsvwg list IETF <tsvwg@ietf.org>

Lars Eggert skrev:
> Hi, Brian,
>
> On 2008-1-28, at 19:58, ext Brian Weis wrote:
>> Calling draft-behringer-tsvwg a "survey" of "group keying for RSVP"
>> isn't an entirely accurate statement. It's a much more fundamental
>> description of RSVP security: it documents the RSVP trust model
>> (perhaps for the first time), and from there it describes the
>> appropriate uses for RSVP keys that should be used within different
>> network topologies, as well as provisioning methods for those keys.
>> Although these topics don't motivate new TSVWG protocol development,
>> taking ownership of these RSVP security fundamentals is important for
>> TSVWG. I believe that is a good rationale for accepting
>> draft-behringer-tsvwg as a WG item.
>
> I agree with you, and I said during the Vancouver meeting that I'd see
> such an Informational document in scope for TSVWG.
>
> However, I'm now hesitating, because I've heard the argument being made
> (both in Vancouver during SAAG and in the recent email by Francois) that
> the acceptance of draft-behringer-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying as a
> TSVWG work item would establish a need to work on a solution in MSEC
> (based on draft-weis-gdoi-for-rsvp). I don't agree with this argument.
> At best, the document would identify a hole in the solution space, and
> if MSEC wants to fill that, I'd need to find its own motivation for
> doing so.

To be clear, any solutions work, even if need is clearly identified in a
TSVWG document would still require the chartering somewhere in the IETF.
And for doing chartering this may in addition require a BOF to discuss
if this is suitable work. I would please request that anyone jumps to
conclusions by doing this document.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com