Re: [v6ops] Updating RFC 7084

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 23 November 2022 19:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 20:57:51 +0100
To: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Updating RFC 7084

Le 23/11/2022 à 17:00, Vasilenko Eduard a écrit :
> I did not say anything about destination routing.

sorry, I took routing for propagating, words.

> "Prefixes" below - it is only prefixes that are used for PIO and then eventually for source addresses.
> By the way, proper prefixes distribution for PIO is a routing challenge too.
>
>> global addresses stay valid in-home despite the transient nature of the ISP link, for a few hours or so
> Reminder: deprecating for "preferred" status, not for "Valid Lifetime".
> If the deprecated prefix is the only one available - it would be used anyway for a new connection.
> It would be used if the session is already open.
>
> The one who propagates prefixes for PIO,
> Should think about how he would clean the mess,
> After some prefix would become stale.
> It is easy for the prefix to become stale with 3GPP or DSL uplink to the Carrier.

Fair enough.  Timer management, lifetimes, are very difficult even in a
single computer, let alone in a distributed manner among computers, and
even less across domains.

A lifetime deprecation proposed by a 3GPP operator would be very
different than that of the ADSL or fiber provider.

Yet, it is among those access networks, presumably satcom too, that an
end user must re-connect.

Further, I can say that when such urgent needs of re-connection appear,
IPv6 is the least of the worries.  But when IPv6 is there, these
lifetime management aspects will be very important.

Alex