Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile last call- "harmfully broad"?

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 13 February 2015 09:52 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:52:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org>, V6 Ops List <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile last call- "harmfully broad"?

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for copying/pasting the list but I have troubles to map those to the new version because several changes were made since then. It might be more simple if we use the reco # of the latest version of the draft.

=====
2. It is over-broad. The vast majority of the features are in no way necessary to build a mobile device that works well over IPv6. Today, the overwhelming majority of mobile device traffic comes from devices that implement only a handful of these requirements. More specifically, requirements #3, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27 (a whole RFC!), #28, #29, #31, #32 (which cover all applications running on the device - yes, all of them), and #34, are not necessary to connect to IPv6 mobile networks.
====

Some preliminary comments:

·         The document is now built as a superset of existing RFCs: RFC7066 and RFC6434. Several of the items you included in your “broad” list are already cited in RFC7066 and RFC6434  (e.g., #9, #10, etc.).

·         The I-D in ** not ** only about IPv6 connectivity but its scope is as follows:

   This profile is a superset of that of the IPv6 profile for 3GPP

   Cellular Hosts [RFC7066<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7066>], which is in turn a superset of IPv6 Node

   Requirements [RFC6434<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6434>].  It targets cellular nodes, including GPRS,

   EPC (Evolved Packet Core) and IEEE 802.11 networks, that require

   features to ensure IPv4 service delivery over an IPv6-only transport

   in addition to the base IPv6 service.  Moreover, this profile covers

   cellular CPEs that are used in various deployments to offer fixed-

   like services.  Recommendations inspired from real deployment

   experiences (e.g., roaming) are included in this profile.  Also, this

   profile sketches recommendations for the sake of deterministic

   behaviors of cellular devices when the same configuration information

   is received over several channels.

·         A device can be compliant with the profile without supporting all the items listed in it. That’s not specific to this document.

·         Items are listed in a priority order. This is not explicitly mentioned in the draft but we can add a sentence to precise it.

In order to make concrete progress while addressing your concern about the scope, would you be comfortable with the following direction:

·         Exclude WLAN and application-related considerations from the scope of the I-D. This will have the consequence of removing both section 2.1 and Section 5.

·         Add some text in the introduction to remind the importance of AF-independent applications/APIs.

·         Add an explicit sentence to say the support of this profile does not mean that all items MUST be supported.

·         Add a sentence to explicit items under each section are classified in a priority order.

Doing so will lead to a list of 18 items that is almost 1/2 of the initial 34 list ;-)

Thank you.
Cheers,
Med