Re: Proposed IESG statement on referencing documents behind a paywall

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 12 June 2019 22:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 00:31:45 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Fred Baker <fredbaker.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@gmail.com>, wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Proposed IESG statement on referencing documents behind a paywall

Thanks Suresh

1) Is there a specific event or events tha ha let to picking up this
topic now ? Just curious, because i thought we have lived with this
situation for a long time unchanged. E.g.: has IEEE raised its prices (which i
would know because of my companies subscription...) ?

2) Associated ask:

I would like IETF if we can have a process by which IEEE
documents that are references to IETF document can be made
available FOR FREE to the reviewers of those drafts during the draft->RFC process.
Aka: Some form of IEEE membership account for IETF WG chairs, simple
email statement from reviewer back to chair to not disseminate the
document, and then chairs could pass on those documents as requested by
reviewers.

Note that i would love to see this not only for normative but also
informative IEEE references to help reviewers.

I know this does not scale to arbitrary SDOs, but IEEE seems to be the
most important one, and i think this should work for IEEE, and i can't
see how this would run the risk of being massively abused if we have WG chairs in
control of access.

Cheers
    Toerless

--