Re: [107attendees] Where the action is, at virtual meetings ...

Alexandre PETRESCU <alexandre.petrescu@cea.fr> Fri, 27 March 2020 17:38 UTC

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <alexandre.petrescu@cea.fr>
To: 107attendees@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 18:37:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [107attendees] Where the action is, at virtual meetings ...

Le 27/03/2020 à 17:17, Spencer Dawkins at IETF a écrit :
> I've heard almost every session chairs saying words like "we have X
> people who have signed the bluesheets, and 2X people who are in WebEx
> now, please go sign the bluesheet". So that's fine.
>
> But I'm also noticing that there are about X people in Jabber, and
> honestly, this week, the jabber rooms are incredibly active - probably
> because they're playing the part of hallway discussions for each
> session. That's been especially true for BOFs, but almost every
> session has had a non-stop active jabber room for most/all of the
> session.
>
> There are a lot of conversations there, that aren't making it into the
> mike line, so roughly half the people in WebEx aren't seeing them, and
> in the cases I'm familiar with, the jabber conversation has been at
> least as well-informed and serious as the voice conversation. And the
> voice conversation doesn't always end up in the same place as the
> jabber conversation.
>
> Are other people noticing the same thing?

Hi,

Thanks for asking.

I followed a big part of Plenary on webex and jabber.  For the unknown
X, I think I noted down 286 max people in webex of Plenary, and around
100-something on Blue Sheet of Plenary, and about 20 on jabber of
hallway during Plenary.  One slide presented during the Plenary said
something like 300-or-so registered people for IETF 107 (no fee, and
registration is an approximative indication).

With respect to the question whether I have noticed the same activity on
jabber, about WG meetings.

For my part I have not checked the jabber rooms, because my first WG of
concern  virtually meets only on March 31st - 6MAN.

At that date, I hope there will be chatter on jabber.

Until then, probably I will not go to jabber, because of the
post-scriptum below.

Yours,

Alex, LF/HF 3

---------------

PS: A big parenthesis:

(

BEsides, I am in a deep thinking trouble: I need to strike a balance
between trying to do work as before, or maybe try to adapt something, or
do something new about it, I really dont know what.

The reasons that make me think that way are simple indicators such as:

- what does an out-of-office automated message means under these new
circumstances where it's normal to not be in office.  How can I still
understand people correctly who are on different layer of lockdown, or
of fear, or of hunger.  Some people might not be locked down at all,
while others might have worse problems.

- the Internet is fundamentally a best technology now literraly helping
us to survive (skype-glued separations of elderly, and tele-work)  -
there is not enough thanks for that.  But are there any doubts about it
in first place.  Is the Internet something that might have influenced
negatively these days (situation-related socially engineered email spam,
etc), or is it entirely clean.

- what does a Together on t-shirt mean when it shoudl be something like
'Distanced Physically but Minded Together' or something like that. For a
joke:  what does 'Standing on Giants' Shoulders' mean when all contact
is prohibited for some while now.  What does 'Unite' mean when we should
actually disunite physically.  These are profound dilemmas for me.

Besides that, I personally need to deal with some urgent matters, such as:

- how to best get food without risking being infected or risking
transmitting it to others.  Getting food in a scalable manner, ie now,
and again each week.

- when will I be able to get out?

There are also other questions that I have:

- could something that I do at IETF be converted to help with ongoing
Emergencies?  (e.g. could a communicaiton system be designed to help
with number reporting from  Hospital to Citizen (instead of from
Hospital-to-Autority-to-Citizen), could a comm system be used to
communicate with a yet-to-be-designed air detector of virus, etc ).

- If the Web changed the Society for the best, maybe something could be
done now to start something to change it again for even Better.

- it might be that all these questions of re-targetting some activities
are too early to think of because it wont ever be needed, because
correct medication will pop up sooner.

- it might be that there is no need at all of a Continuity plan for IETF
meetings, because the lockdown period will last not long enough for
people to forget the custom, which will come back naturally.

)

Alex, LF/HF 3