Re: [apps-discuss] Revised DMARC working group charter proposal

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Sat, 13 April 2013 02:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:20:42 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Revised DMARC working group charter proposal

Scott,

Would that these processes were more smooth. However...

On 4/12/2013 2:56 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> "The initial charter for this working group does not include revising the base
> specification"
>
> I don't think removing the work on the base specification from the charter
> really addresses the concern that the previous draft charter over constrained
> work on the base charter.  "You have to recharter" to make a change seems very
> constraining.

To charter a working group that will make changes to a specification,
there first must be a sense of the kinds of changes that are needed and
desired by the folks who will develop and deploy the changes.

Before bringing the spec to the IETF venue, we looked quite hard amongst
the current DMARC community for a meaningful, near-term work-list to
attempt on the base spec, and failed to develop one.

So Scott, what changes to the DMARC base spec are you seeking and why
and who wants them and how do we know this?

> There were a number of suggestions based on DKIM and other WG charters that
> seemed to me like a good basis for balancing the concerns of existing
> implementers with the idea of allowing an IETF working group to actually do
> work.

The issue is not whether random, thoughtful folk can imagine a range of
changes to make.  The question is what is actually needed and by whom
and what the basis for believing this is.

Start by considering that there is a recent installed base, which means
that the folks currently deploying DMARC, to cover roughly 60% of the
world's mailboxes, would like to recover their initial investment before
making more changes.  Then consider that they haven't yet registered
requests for changes or enhancements.  Then please explain the basis for
changing to make more changes now?

d/
--
  Dave Crocker