Re: Chassis MIB comments

kzm@hls.com (Keith McCloghrie) Sun, 23 August 1992 19:00 UTC

From: kzm@hls.com
Subject: Re: Chassis MIB comments
To: dan@lannet.com
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1992 12:00:14 -0700
Cc: chassismib@cs.utk.edu, kzm@hls.com, arneson@yeti.ctron.com

> Concentrator: A (device implementing a) node that has additional ports
> beyond those required for its own attachement to the network. (Ref.: Kessler,
> Train - MAN - Concepts, Standards and Services).

This seems to me a very loose definition.  To the extent that it applies
to concentrators, it seems to apply equally well to repeaters, bridges,
or even routers - without redundant paths, disabling any port loses
connectivity from "its own attachment" to somewhere on the network.

> Repeater: Device that extends the geographical coverage of a network by
> interconnecting two similar LANs, such as Ethernet or Token Ring. Operating
> at the physical layer of the OSI layer, it repeats (amplifies, reshapes,
> retimes) packets received from one LAN before sending them to the other.
> (Ref.: Terplan - Communications Network Management).

The use of "physical layer" excludes bridges and routers, but why are
concentrators excluded ?  Shouldn't it say bit-wise, rather than "packets",
and "one LAN-segment" rather than "one LAN" ?

Keith.