Re: [clouds] Use cases

Mark Webb <mwebb@cisco.com> Wed, 07 April 2010 16:05 UTC

From: Mark Webb <mwebb@cisco.com>
To: Gene Golovinsky <gene@alertlogic.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:05:16 -0400
Cc: "clouds@ietf.org" <clouds@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [clouds] Use cases

DMTF with OVF is the primary group for Virtual Machine format &
exchange for IaaS.   Look for that to evolve into something that will
allow some abstractions for policy - security.  Given the dynamic
nature of cloud today, the more abstraction that is allowed the
better.   This will enable demand to grow and the use-cases to expand
and viable services to be offered.

The cloud incubator effort, (in DMTF) looks to be spawning several
other working groups.  Three different APIs have been submitted to the
cloud incubator and look like a working group will be created to look
at that.  There are several ways to look at the API user role and/or
use-case of APIs.  I think DMTF focus will remain IaaS initially for
the APIs as well.

For Security, Cloud Security Alliance is the clearing house for best
practices, potential certification process in Cloud Audit.  These may
end up serving the industry as the security focal point.  There are
likely _most_ of the components for security existing today in various
SDO.  So, this profiles (or frameworks) for security are what is most
needed right now IMO.

Most of my comments are IaaS focused.  I believe PaaS and SaaS are too
ill defined with no center of gravity to be something mature enough to
consider standardization yet.  What the industry wants and will
support in a functional, technical and business models from PaaS and
SaaS has some design, use and clarification before we will know what
is worth locking up IMO.

Mark Webb