Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 28 April 2014 18:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 19:24:35 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: "Burleigh, Scott C (312G)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>, "dtn-interest@irtf.org" <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

Hi Scott,

On 28/04/14 18:40, Burleigh, Scott C (312G) wrote:
> Will's view here makes sense to me.  The initiative for requesting
> the BoF -- the first serious commercial interest in delay-tolerant
> networking that we've seen, I think -- is coming from Boeing.  I
> think it the energy behind the BoF initiative might evaporate if this
> conversation diverts that BoF initiative in a direction that diverges
> dramatically from Boeing's interests.

I agree. But its not clear to me what Boeing do envisage in
terms of minimal or more change vs. 5050. Maybe its clear to
others, but I didn't get that from the text Fred has sent
so far.

> In particular, the HTTP-DTN concept clearly merits serious
> consideration as a way of addressing the well-known challenges of
> delay-tolerant networking, but I don't think this BoF request
> discussion is the right place to try to conduct that serious
> consideration.

I think Lloyd's http-dtn stuff is maybe one possible approach
but the issue of whether or not an IETF WG prioritises ease of
terrestrial deployment or prioritises minimal change to 5050
is basically independent of http-dtn. So we shouldn't get hung
up on a false dichotomy there.

> What I think would make more sense would be for a
> couple of experimental HTTP-DTN implementations to be developed and
> exercised in practical deployment scenarios, just as has been done
> with the DTNRG's BP-based protocol suite over the past decade, so
> that we can all get a better sense of the architecture's demonstrated
> advantages and disadvantages.  The DTNRG seems to me to be the right
> venue for that research.
>
> Meanwhile, though, the experience of NASA, N4C, the U.S. Defense
> Department, Boeing, and others seems to indicate that the Bundle
> Protocol and adjunct protocols can be used to operate delay- and
> disruption-tolerant networks successfully.

"Can be used" is correct. But to be fair, I'd have to say that
"can easily be used" is not correct for a bunch of use-cases,
including the N4C ones. And for others that I've investigated
since N4C finished. I'm not saying that 5050 doesn't work by
any means (modulo the known set of relatively minor things to
fix) but that its not really easy to deploy a DTN using 5050
and maybe that could be improved a lot if we do consider bigger
changes to 5050 for a 5050bis.

> This suggests that it
> could be advantageous to the networking community to standardize
> protocols derived from the DTNRG stack (certainly adopting some of
> the improvements to those protocols that have been proposed over the
> years).  I think that's the proposition that this BoF request
> conversation should be contemplating.

Personally, I think it'd be far more interesting if we did
not try to aim for minimal change to 5050, but were more ambitious
and tried for something that could get much broader deployment.
(While at the same time making sure one could easily gateway
from a 5050bis DTN to a 5050 DTN.)

But if minimal-change is what those who are proposing to do the
work want, then yes, that is what the BoF ought (clearly) propose
and what the IESG and IAB will evaluate. (And even though I'm
not fond of that plan myself, I'll be supportive of the work
being done if I think there's enough of a constituency for it
in the IETF.)

S.