Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 28 April 2014 10:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:13:39 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Joerg Ott <jo@netlab.tkk.fi>, l.wood@surrey.ac.uk, Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com, dtn-interest@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

On 28/04/14 08:54, Joerg Ott wrote:
> IIRC, I remarked back then, that adding a To: and From: fields (granted,
> you call them differently) to HTTP has been done before (aka SIP).
> Let's not repeat this exercise (we know where this can lead to :-)
> And, no, I am not suggesting you should be using SIP instead, even
> though it would be closer.
>
> It's just that adding feature to a system it wasn't designed for is
> going to be as easy as it seems at the first glance (adding routing,
> etc.)

That is a danger, yes. But doing minimal changes to 5050 also
has a danger - that the result is never really deployed. So I
think the question for now seems to be whether or not to make
much simpler terrestrial deployment a first class goal for the
putative WG.

I'd like the answer to be "yes," but I do agree that there's
a case that can be made for a minimal-change approach. That
latter is a lot less interesting for me though as I think there
are just very few situations that justify rolling out an entirely
different infrastructure for a DTN.

S.