Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

"Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov> Wed, 30 April 2014 18:35 UTC

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 18:35:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [69.54.49.118]
Cc: "dtn-interest@irtf.org" <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

Fred,

Have you talked to an AD or someone on the IESG about a BOF?  If not, I suggest you/we do.

Way back,  I was involved with organizing a BOF on multi-homed mobile platforms (aircraft, boats, etc…).  I know we talked to ADs and planned for probably six to nine months.  I know we met with ADs in 2006 in Montreal (66th IETF) to discuss what we wanted to do and strategize for the BOF.  In fact, cannot remember if we did a BOF.  I think we may have then presented to nemo and monami at IEFT 67.

>From the discussions on the list, I would say, we are not ready to have a BOF.   It is my understanding that  BOF can be held: 1) to conduct a single, brief discussion or 2) to ascertain interest and establish goals for a working group.  I believe #2 is you goal.

Generally, you get one chance, so you want to know exactly what you want out of the BOF and you need to be well organized to convince the community that there is ample reason to form a working group and ample energy to get the work done.

Stephen can probably provide some advice here.

>From the activity on this list lately, I think you may be hard pressed to get the workers.  Most of the big funding for this has dried up.  Previously you had DARPA, NASA and the N4C investing significant funds.  Many of those who use to be active on this list have moved to Information Centric Networking.

Will