Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Mon, 28 April 2014 20:32 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: "Burleigh, Scott C (312G)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>, "dtn-interest@irtf.org" <dtn-interest@irtf.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:31:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.247.104.6]
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] DTN BoF Proposal for IETF90

Internet links have Maximum Transmission Units (MTUs). For IPv6, the
maximum MTU (i.e., the maximum IPv6 packet size) is 4GB (obviously,
most Internet links have considerably smaller MTUs). Then the path
MTU is the minimum of all link MTUs in the end-to-end path.

Similarly, paths between DTN nodes should have a Maximum Bundle Unit
(MBU). The MBU should be sized so that large bundles don't cause
unacceptable head-of-line blocking thus starving out smaller bundles.

So, an end-to-end DTN path may traverse many individual hops that have
diverse MBUs. But, each hop should have a well defined MBU so that
fragmentation can work correctly. Do we need text to this effect
in the specs?

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com