Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 15 July 2009 13:10 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "earlywarning@ietf.org" <earlywarning@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:09:19 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] [CAP] Definition of Warning Categories

Firstly, I am not sure the identification of the types of warnings I wish to subscribe to, and the nature of the warning, are necessarily one and the same thing, yet that seems to be assumed by the drafts.

Secondly, surely we should be seeking some alignment of warning types between the different delivery mechanisms. I note that we have lists in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-sipping-cap-04 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-ecrit-lost-early-warning-01 that are aligned with each other, but bear no relationship with those being defined in other bodies.

For example 3GPP TS 22.268 defines the umbrella for warnings provided by the cell broadcast service

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/22268.htm

This defines a structure that incorporates at least ETWS for the far east, and CMAS for north america. Europe is still working on a coordinated set of requirements.

and you will find the message identifiers for these two in 3GPP TS 23.041

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/23041.htm

Including recent expansions which have not yet appeared in the published document these come down to:

ETWS CBS Message Identifier for earthquake warning message.
ETWS CBS Message Identifier for tsunami warning message.
ETWS CBS Message Identifier for earthquake and tsunami combined warning message.
ETWS CBS Message Identifier for test message.
ETWS CBS Message Identifier for messages related to other emergency types.
ETWS CBS Message Identifier for future extension.

CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Presidential Level Alerts.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Extreme Alerts with Severity of Extreme, Urgency of Immediate, and Certainty of Observed.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Extreme Alerts with Severity of Extreme, Urgency of Immediate, and Certainty of Likely.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Extreme Alerts with Severity of Extreme, Urgency of Expected, and Certainty of Observed.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Extreme Alerts with Severity of Extreme, Urgency of Expected, and Certainty of Likely.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Severe Alerts with Severity of Severe, Urgency of Immediate, and Certainty of Observed.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Severe Alerts with Severity of Severe, Urgency of Immediate, and Certainty of Likely.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Severe Alerts with Severity of Severe, Urgency of Expected, and Certainty of Observed.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Severe Alerts with Severity of Severe, Urgency of Expected, and Certainty of Likely.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for Child Abduction Emergency (or Amber Alert).
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for the Required Monthly Test.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for CMAS Exercise.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for operator defined use.
CMAS CBS Message Identifier for future extension.

I don't see any alignment between these lists and those in the internet-drafts, yet surely you will have the same content providers generating these messages, and the same receivers receiving these messages.

Note that the ETWS set are already in deployment (they formed part of 3GPP release 8). I believe the CMAS ones are based on input discussed first in ATIS.

ITU-T SG2 also believe they are playing in this space.

regards

Keith