Re: [gaia] Comments on: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments

panayotis antoniadis <panayotis@nethood.org> Tue, 12 April 2016 09:12 UTC

To: gaia@irtf.org
From: panayotis antoniadis <panayotis@nethood.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:12:04 +0200
Subject: Re: [gaia] Comments on: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments

Dear all,

I am following the evolution of this draft since the beginning and
I have started many draft long e-mails that I finally abandoned :-)

I think that the easiest way to resolve the "conflict" is to restrict
the scope of the draft than to expand it. For example, making
even more clear that the interest is on alternative networks that
offer Internet access, and mostly on the technical questions,
avoiding to go into the question of "local" services, the concept
of community, motivations, and other social and political aspects.

There is a huge literature in social sciences that tries to cover this
dimension (e.g., work by Alison Powell, Mark Gaved, Christian
Sandvig, Katrina Jungnickel, and more) and the authors could just
acknowledge that such issues go beyond the scope of the draft.
Being an engineer that has tried to explore this other "culture" of
science in the context of Community Networks I could try to help.

Btw, if you are in London next week I will be talking at UCL on why
we should make as clear as possible the two possible roles of a
community network, Internet access and local services, if we wish
them to proliferate along both directions :-)

See http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/~uceeips/group-seminars.html

Best,

Panayotis Antoniadis
http://nethood.org/panayotis/